The Institute of Community Ophthalmology (ICO), academic wing of Chittagong Eye Infirmary and Training Complex (CEITC) was established under University of Chittagong in 1991. It was awarded affiliation with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) in 2011. ICO conducts a 2 years course leading to Diploma in Community Ophthalmology (DCO) under the BSMMU and a 4 years degree, Bachelor of Science in Optometry (B. Optom) under University of Chittagong.
Now, Institute is conducting Bachelor of Science in Optometry Course under Chittagong Medical University from 9th batch in the year 2017.
CEITC facilitates ICO to provide adequate quality eye care training for both the Doctors and Optometrists. From this point of view a research centre has been established named “Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre” with modern research facilities.
Very recently, this organization obtained affiliation/accreditation to start M S (Ophthalmology) course under BSMMU, Dhaka from next session.
Name of courses offered:
- Diploma in community ophthalmology (DCO) under BSMMU
- M S (Ophthalmology) under BSMMU
- Bachelor of Science in Optometry (4 years honors course) under Chittagong Medical University
- International council of ophthalmology (ICO) examination center
- FCPS fellowship program
1.Diploma in community ophthalmology (DCO):
Institute conducts Diploma course in Community Ophthalmology under Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka. The Diploma in Community Ophthalmology is recognized by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC).
Report on the number of students enrolled for the session July, 2017 and July, 2018 is as follows:
DCO Course: (2016-2017)
Seven doctors have been enrolled in the session July, 2017 and they are continuing their course.
DCO Course (2017-2018):
Four (04) doctors enrolled in the session July, 2018.
2. M S (Ophthalmology) :
Institute will conduct M S (Ophthalmology) course under Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka from next session.
3.Bachelor of Science in Optometry (B.Optom):
Under the University of Chittagong, Bachelor of Science in Optometry Course has been running since 2010. Already 51 students from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th batches have completed their course and came out successful. Report on the number of students enrolled in nine consecutive batches is as follows:
- Session 2009-2010 (1st Batch) – 12 Students
- Session 2010-2011 (2nd Batch) – 15 Students
- Session 2011-2012 (3rd Batch) – 15 Student
- Session 2012-2013 (4th Batch) – 18 Students
- Session 2013-2014 (5th Batch) – 13 Students
- Session 2014-2015 (6th Batch) – 12 Students
- Session 2015-2016 (7th Batch) – 21 Students
- Session 2016-2017 (8th Batch) – 25 Students
Now, Institute is conducting Bachelor of Science in Optometry Course under Chittagong Medical University from the 9th Batch in the year 2017.
9. Session 2017-2018 (9th Batch) – 14 Students
Optometry is an eye care profession which is dedicated to the improvement and preservation of eye sight. It covers the assessment of vision and incredibly diverse range of activities.
Optometrists are primary eye care providers and possess and excellent understanding of the visual system, the problems that can occur and how to manage these problems. As such, the modern practice of optometry encompasses the assessment of the human eye and visual system, as well as the management of patients with conditions of the eye and visual system.
4. International Council of Ophthalmology, U.K. Assessment:
There are only 130 test centers in 80 countries for conducting International Council of Ophthalmology, U. K. examination. Of them, one is in Dhaka and the other in CEITC. The 18th International assessment for Ophthalmologist was held on 18th April, 2018. In the assessment of ‘Basic Science Assessment in Ophthalmology’ thirteen candidates appeared, in the assessment of “Theoretical Optics and Refraction” thirteen candidates appeared and in the “Clinical Science in Ophthalmology” seven candidates appeared.
1. Integrated primary eye care service:
Primary Eye Care Center, Katachara, Mirsarai (from January to December, 2017)
Primary Eye Care Service -9156 number of patients examined
Under-5 Clinic- 7163 number of patients examined
Immunization service- 309 number of children immunized
Immunization service-236 number of women immunized
Service on Planned Parenthood provided to -1548
In 2 programs, 100 village doctors trained on primary eye care
In 2 programs, 201 school teachers trained on primary eye care
- Feni vision Center: It is newly launched its activities from 5.02.2018. Therefore, from this vision center 315 number of patients examined.
- Keranihat vision center: From this vision center 12236 number of patients examined.
3. School eye health program:
In every year, ICO conducts School Eye Health Program (SEHP) in different area around the country through the financial support of Govt. of Bangladesh. In the year 2017-2018, ICO was conducted School Eye Health Program (SEHP) for 20 schools. Therefore, 6,110 number of patients examined by conducting SEHP in different schools. List of schools and details of service delivered enclosed herewith.
Community based outreach program:
- Cataract screening
- Glaucoma screening
- Diabetic retinopathy
Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre
Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre has been established under the direct supervision of CEITC and ICO for standard research activities. It may be mentioned that the ophthalmologists and other professionals have published 154 scientific research papers in national and international journals, since the establishment of the centre. The centre stimulates interest of research among the Doctors. Every year Institute of Community Ophthalmology publishes its Scientific Journal “Ophthalmic Horizon” through the Research Centre. The latest edition was published in the month of September, 2018. (Ophthalmic Horizon vol-13-sep-2018 PDF ) In this scientific journal the major articles are contributed by the Ophthalmologists, social scientists, optometrists and other enthusiastic researchers.
CEITC and ICO Journal:
In 2018, a significant number of research studies have been conducted at the “Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre”. The following articles and case reports were published in the 13th issue of the journal of ICO and CEITC “Ophthalmic Horizon” (ISSN 2075-8138), 2018.
1. Ocular morbidities among Rohingya refugees at Ukhia, Cox’sbazar, Bangladesh
Prof. Dr. Khurshid Alam, Prof. Dr. Munirujzaman Osmani, Dr. Shaila Begum; Tangila Sultana
2. Outcome of primary probing for Congenital Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction
in children older than 13 Months of age
Dr. Md. Nasimul Gani Chowdhury, Dr. Farhadul Alam; Dr. Murtuza Nuruddin
3. Ocular status, ocular health seeking behavior and barriers to uptake eye care
services among children of slum community in Chittagong, Bangladesh
Dr. Rajib Husain, Syed Mohammad Didarul Alam, Jewel Das Gupta; Tangila Sultana
4. Astigmatic change in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (MSICS) with Chevron type of incision
Dr. Sujit Kumar Biswas, Prof. A. H. G. Quddus; Tangila Sultana
5. Post operative visual outcome of manual small incision cataract surgery
at Chittagong Eye Infirmary and Training Complex
Dr. Quamrul Islam, Dr. Shams Mohammed Noman, Dr. Rajib Husain
6. Juvenile Open-Angle Glaucoma: our experience in management at a tertiery ophthalmic centre
Dr. Shams Mohammed Noman, Dr. Sweety Barua, Dr. Feroz Khan; Dr. Md. Dostogir Hossain
7. Assessment of ocular morbidity, health seeking behaviors and barriers among tribal
children in Chittagong Hill Tract Area, Bangladesh
Tangila Sultana, Mohammad Tasnim Sadeed, Prof. Dr. Munirujzaman Osmani; S.M. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
8. Clinico-epidemiological evaluation of diabetic retinopathy patients attending a tertiary eye care centre
Dr. Shaila Sharmin, Dr. Jasmin Ahmad
9. Various clinical presentation of Retinitis Pigmentosa patients at a tertiary eye care center
Dr. Jasmin Ahmad, Nelufa Yeasmin
10. Clinical features of nonarteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy patients attending
at Neuro-Ophthalmology department of a tertiary eye-care hospital in Bangladesh
Dr. Tanima Roy
- Von Hippel Lindu Disease with Cerebellar Haemangioblastoma – A Rare Case Report
Dr. Soma Rani Roy, Dr. Fahmida Huque
- Waardenburg Syndrome with Foveal Schisis – A Case Report
Dr. Jasmin Ahmad
- Bilateral Iris Epithelial Cyst – A Case Report
Dr. Soma Rani Roy, Dr. Umme Salma Akbar
- Pseudo-cataract after Cataract Surgery: An unusual presentation of Phacolytic Glaucoma
Dr. Shams Mohammed Noman, Dr. Feroz Khan; Dr. Md. Dostogir Hossain
- Exotropia with Dissociated Vertical Deviation (DVD): A Case Report
Ophthalmic Horizon vol-13-sep-2018 PDF