[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/6″][interactive_banner banner_image=”id^76|url^http://icoedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/admission-open-apply-now.jpg|caption^null|alt^null|title^admission-open-apply-now|description^null” link_opts=”box” banner_link=”url:http%3A%2F%2F18.104.22.168%2Fioco%2Fapply-online%2F|||” banner_style=”style11″ banner_overlay_bg_color=”rgba(36,36,36,0.14)”][vc_empty_space][interactive_banner banner_image=”id^77|url^http://icoedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/vacancy.jpg|caption^null|alt^null|title^vacancy|description^null” link_opts=”box” banner_link=”url:http%3A%2F%2F22.214.171.124%2Fioco%2Fcareer%2F|||” banner_style=”style11″ banner_overlay_bg_color=”rgba(36,36,36,0.14)”][/vc_column][vc_column width=”7/12″][vc_column_text]The Institute of Community Ophthalmology (ICO), academic wing of Chittagong Eye Infirmary and Training Complex (CEITC) was established under the University of Chittagong in 1991. It was awarded affiliation with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) in 2011. ICO conducts 5 years course leading to MS (Ophthalmology) under the BSMMU, 2 years course leading to Diploma in Community Ophthalmology (DCO) under the BSMMU and a 4 years degree under Chittagong Medical University. It is mentioned here that the B.Optom course has been conducting under Chittagong Medical University since 2018.
CEITC facilitates ICO to provide adequate quality eye care training for both the doctors and optometrists. From this point of view a research centre has been established named “Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre” with modern research facilities.
Name of courses offered:
- MS (Ophthalmology) under BSMMU
- Diploma in community ophthalmology (DCO) under BSMMU
- Bachelor of Science in Optometry (4 years honors course) under Chittagong Medical University
- International council of ophthalmology (ICO) examination center
- FCPS fellowship program
1. MS (Ophthalmology) :
This organization obtained affiliation to start MS (Ophthalmology) course under BSMMU, Dhaka. In response to the application of ICO, the academic council of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) in its 52nd meeting held on 21st October, 2018 ratified appellation of the MS in Ophthalmology course and the same was approved by syndicate on 14th November, 2018. Accordingly four students have been enrolled for the academic session March, 2019. With four students, next session will be started on March, 2020.
2. Diploma in community ophthalmology (DCO):
Institute conducts Diploma course in Community Ophthalmology under Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka. The Diploma in Community Ophthalmology is recognized by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC).
Report on the number of students enrolled for the session July, 2018 and July, 2019 is as follows:
- DCO Course: ( Session : July-2019 , July- 2018)
Eight doctors have been enrolled in the 1st year for the session July 2019 and four doctors are continuing their course in 2nd year, for the session July, 2018.
- DCO Course: ( Session : July-2017 )
In the DCO July examination-2019 under BSMMU, Five candidates have appeared and all come out successfully. In the DCO January examination-2019, two candidates appeared and out of them one passed. In the DCO Jan examination-2020 under BSMMU, three candidates will be appeared.
3.Bachelor of Science in Optometry (B.Optom):
Under the University of Chittagong, Bachelor of Science in Optometry Course has been running since 2010. Already 60 students from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th batches have completed their course and came out successful. Report on the number of students enrolled in Ten consecutive batches is as follows:
- Session 2009-2010 (1st Batch) – 12 Students
- Session 2010-2011 (2nd Batch) – 15 Students
- Session 2011-2012 (3rd Batch) – 15 Student
- Session 2012-2013 (4th Batch) – 18 Students
- Session 2013-2014 (5th Batch) – 13 Students
- Session 2014-2015 (6th Batch) – 12 Students
- Session 2015-2016 (7th Batch) – 21 Students
- Session 2016-2017 (8th Batch) – 25 Students
Now, Institute is conducting Bachelor of Science in Optometry Course under Chittagong Medical University from the 9th Batch in the year 2017.
9. Session 2017-2018 (9th Batch) – 14 Students
10. Session 2018-2019 (10th Batch) – 29 Students
11. Session 2019-2020 (11th Batch) – 30 Students
Optometry is an eye care profession which is dedicated to the improvement and preservation of eye sight. It covers the assessment of vision and incredibly diverse range of activities.
Optometrists are primary eye care providers and possess and excellent understanding of the visual system, the problems that can occur and how to manage these problems. As such, the modern practice of optometry encompasses the assessment of the human eye and visual system, as well as the management of patients with conditions of the eye and visual system.
4. International Council of Ophthalmology, U.K. Assessment:
There are only 130 test centers in 80 countries for conducting International Council of Ophthalmology, U.K. examination. Of them one is in Dhaka and the other in CEITC. The 19th International assessment for ophthalmologists was held on 24 April, 2019. In the assessment of “Visual science” ten candidates appeared and out of them two candidates came out successfully. In the assessment of Optics, Refraction & Instruments twelve candidates appeared and out of them seven candidates came out successfully. In the assessment of Clinical Ophthalmology ten candidates appeared and five candidates came out successfully.
In the first time from our centre, our institute has conducted Advanced International Council of Ophthalmology examination on 24th October (Thursday. In the assessment of Advanced International examination six candidates appeared and out of them one candidate came out successfully.
1. Integrated primary eye care service:
Primary Eye Care Center, Katachara, Mirsarai (from January to December, 2017)
Primary Eye Care Service -9156 number of patients examined
Under-5 Clinic- 7163 number of patients examined
Immunization service- 309 number of children immunized
Immunization service-236 number of women immunized
Service on Planned Parenthood provided to -1548
In 2 programs, 100 village doctors trained on primary eye care
In 2 programs, 201 school teachers trained on primary eye care
- Feni vision Center: It is newly launched its activities from 5.02.2018. Therefore, from this vision center 315 number of patients examined.
- Keranihat vision center: From this vision center 12236 number of patients examined.
3. School eye health program:
In every year, ICO conducts School Eye Health Program (SEHP) in different area around the country through the financial support of Govt. of Bangladesh. In the year 2017-2018, ICO was conducted School Eye Health Program (SEHP) for 20 schools. Therefore, 6,110 number of patients examined by conducting SEHP in different schools. List of schools and details of service delivered enclosed herewith.
Community based outreach program:
- Cataract screening
- Glaucoma screening
- Diabetic retinopathy
Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre
Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre:
Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre has been established under the direct supervision of CEITC and ICO for standard research activities. It may be mentioned that the physicians and other professionals have published 165 scientific research papers in national and international journals, since the establishment of the centre. These research activities reflect the interest of research among the doctors. Every year Institute of Community Ophthalmology publishes its Scientific Journal “Ophthalmic Horizon” through the Research Centre. In this scientific journal the major articles are contributed by the physicians, social scientists, optometrists and other concerned researchers.
CEITC and ICO Journal:
During the mentioned period a significant number of research studies have been conducted at the “Dr. Ahmadur Rahman Research Centre” in CEITC. The following articles and case reports were published in the 14th issue of the journal of ICO and CEITC (Ophthalmic Horizon” (ISSN 2075-8138) 2019.
a) A Newer Technique of Ocular Surface Reconstruction in Unilateral Lime Burn. Dr. Sujit Kumar Biswas, Dr. A.S.M. Mahbubul Alam, Dr. Soma Rani Roy, Dr. Tanjila Ahmed Ria, Dr. Abdul Matin Bhuyn.
- b) Pattern of presentation, management outcome of lens induced glaucoma at a tertiary eye care centre. Umme Salma Akbar, Dr. Shams Mohammed Noman, Dr. Rajib Husain, Dr. Mohammed Quamrul Islam.
- c) Ocular Health Status of Severely Visual Impaired Students of Different Educational Institution (College, University) and Assessment of their Socio-educational Potentiality.
Urmi Atika Islam, Prof. Dr. Munirujzaman Osmani, Rahnoma Tarannom.
- d) Management of Centurian Syndrome: an unexplained cause of epiphoria. Dr. Murtuza Nuruddin, Dr. Soma Rani Roy, Dr. Fahmida Hoque.
- e) Clinico-epidemiological evaluation of diabetic retinopathy patients attending in a tertiary eye care centre. Shaila Sharmin, Dr. Jasmin Ahmad.
- f) Etiology and Ocular manifestations in children associated with Cerebral Palsy. Jannatun Noor, Urmi Atika Islam, Dr.Farzana Akter Chowdhury, Dr. Nasimul Gani Chowdhury.
- a) Hurler syndrome —-a case report. Umme Salma Akbar, Dr. Shams Mohammed Noman.
- b) Millard- Gubler Syndrome:A Case Report. Dr. Tanima Ro, Dr. Mumu Das.
- c) Foster Kennedy syndrome: A case report. Dr. Tanima Roy, Dr. Fatema Begum .
Ongoing research studies/ Activities:
- Visual function of monocular pseudophakic patients in pediatric age group (5-16y).
- Vergence & accommodative anomalies & their management of school going children (6 – 16 years) in a tertiary eye hospital.
- Functional visual assessment, refractive status & other associated factors of Primary Open Angle Glaucoma (POAG) in a tertiary eye hospital.
- Ocular status, pattern of presentation & associated factors of myopia among pediatric age group ( 6-16y).
- Ocular and general health status of type-2 Diabetic patient in Chittagong.
- Ocular status and barriers to uptake eye care services among tribal adult (above 40 years) population of Hill tract area in Chittagong.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/4″][ultimate_heading main_heading=”IMPORTANT NOTICE” heading_tag=”h4″ alignment=”left”][/ultimate_heading][vc_separator color=”blue” align=”align_left”][vc_column_text][vsrp vsrp_id=’1′ class=”][/vc_column_text][ultimate_heading main_heading=”USEFUL LINKS” heading_tag=”h4″ alignment=”left”][/ultimate_heading][vc_separator color=”blue” align=”align_left”][vc_column_text]
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][ultimate_heading main_heading=”Academic Highlights” main_heading_color=”#1e73be” heading_tag=”h4″ alignment=”left”][/ultimate_heading][vc_separator color=”blue” align=”align_left”][dt_small_photos height=”120″ autoslide=”4000″ loop=”true”][/vc_column][/vc_row]